OTTOMAN AND TURKISH STUDIES AT HARVARD
OTTOMAN AND TURKISH STUDIES PROGRAMS
IN OTTOMAN AND TURKISH STUDIES
OTTOMAN MANUSCRIPTS AT HARVARD
NEWS IN OTTOMAN AND TURKISH STUDIES
Ph.D. and Masters Candidates 1999-2000
(Return to Academic Community)
(Graduate school year, departmental affiliation and research interests)
- ABOUALI, Diana (G-7)
- AYDIN, Cemil (G-5), History & MES
- Area of study is Ottoman-Turkish and Japanese intellectual history in the 19th and 20th
centuries. Specializing in a comparative study of Occidentalism by focusing on Japanese
and Turkish writings on the "West." Generally interested in questions of
nationalism, historical identity, history of science, impact of modern technology on
society in the Ottoman and Japanese historical contexts.
- BAIG, Paula Russo (G-12), History & MES
- BERLEKAMP, Persis (G--),
- CASALE, Giancarlo Louis (G-3)
- ÇIPA, Hakki (G-2), History & MES
- Research interests: Comparative history of rural and urban lower classes in late
medieval and early modern Europe & Ottoman Empire; implicit and explicit forms of
conflict (and compromise) in peasant societies; popular culture. MA-THESIS TITLE: Class
and Conflict in Peasant Societies: An Analysis of Marxian Historiography. MPhil-THESIS
TITLE: Aims and Motives of Peasant Rebels: A Comparison of the English, German and Ottoman
- ERDEMIR, Aykan (G-4)
- ERSOY, Ahmet (G-7),Fine Art
- FETVACI, Emine (G-1),Fine Art
- I'm a G1 in the History of Art and Architecture Department, studying Islamic Art and I
plan to do my work in Ottoman manuscript illustrations and/or album pages, probably
sixteenth century, and possibly later. I am also interested in nineteenth century Ottoman
HAMMADY, Iman (G-9), Anthropology & MES
- KALFUSS, Barak (G-4)
- KASTRITSIS, Demetri (G-3)
- I am a Ph.D. candidate in History and Middle Eastern Studies. My interests include the
Balkans and Anatolia in the Middle Ages, late Byzantine and early Ottoman history, the
Eastern Mediterranean and Renaissance Italy. My dissertation will be on the Ottoman
Interregnum, or Fetret Devri, as it is known in Turkish.
- KAYAALP, Pinar (G-1)
- KHURI-MAKDISI, Ilham (G-4)
- I am interested in late Ottoman history, and my research topic is on port-cities of the
eastern mediterranean, and on the movement of ideas between them.
- KURU, Selim (G--), NELC
- Research interests: literary urge as a manifestation of human existence. sexuality and
literature, written and oral literary production, Ottoman literature and history of
scholarship in the context of Islamic literature(s), Ottoman and Modern Turkish languages.
Dissertation subject is a sixteenth-century Ottoman text of anectodes, classified to
reflect the possible objects of man's desire.
- LEAL, Karen (G-7), History & MES
- Dissertation concerns relations between the Greek Orthodox 'millet' and the Ottoman
state in the seventeenth century
- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- LEE, Yonggyu (G-3)
- NIYAZIOGLU, Asli (G-3)
- ÖRS, Ilay Berna (G-2)
- She is in her second year of the Joint PhD program in Social Anthropology and Middle
Eastern Studies. She has majored in Political Science and Sociology in Bogazici University
Istanbul; and received a MSc in Social Anthropology in University College London prior to
starting her studies in Harvard in 1997. Her research interests include cultural identity,
multiculturalism, migration, and consumption patterns in Greece, Turkey, and other
- PANCAROGLU, Oya (G-1)
- PETZEN, Barbara (G-9), History & MES
- Examining the role of Western female educators in the Ottoman Empire and their
relationship with their pupils and the society around them. Interests include cultural
change and influence, the politics of identity, cultural nationalism, and education.
- SCHICK, Leslie
- SISMAN, Cengiz (G-2)
- I am interested in Ottoman "minorities", their mystical-messianical tendencies
and possible social and intellectual interactions with each other in a context of the
seventeenth century Ottoman and Early Modern Europe.
- STEFANOVA, Evdokia
- STUMP, Ayfer (G-1)
- She is interested in questions of "heresy" and "heterodoxy" in the
Islamic context, popular piety and religious movements, Sufism and women's history. Period
of concentration is pre-modern Ottoman history.
- TASKÖMÜR, Himmet (G-4)
- I am interested in legal history in the Ottoman Context. I am also interested in
religious and intellectual history of late medieval Islamic history.
- THOMAS, Mara (G-14), Anthropology & MES
- THOMAS, Stephanie(G--), NELC
- THOMPSON, Peter J. (G-4)
- WIESE, Marguerite (G-8), History & MES
- WILKINS, Charles (G-3), History & MES
- Research interests: Social and political history of Ottoman Syria. I'm focusing on the
social and political practices of elite households in 17th and 18th century Aleppo.
- YAYCIOGLU, Ali (G-1)
- He is interested in the Ottoman Balkans, particularly Macedonai and Bosnia. He also
studies on the Ottoman legal institutions, particularly those related to the property
relations in the 18th and 19th centuries. He has one published article:
"Ottoman-Turkish manuscripts at the Institute of Islamic Studies and other libraries
of McGill University." with Adam Gacek in Fontanus (Fall, 1998).
- YI, Eunjeong
- YILMAZ, Hüseyin (G-6), History & MES
- Ottoman Political Thought in Classical Age.
- YÜKSEL, Cihan
- YÜREKLI, Zeynep (G-3)
SCHRANK, Alexander (G-1)
Alumni - Ph.D.
- CANBAKAL, Hülya (G-9), History & MES
- Dissertation Title: Ayntab at the End of the 17th Century: A study of
Notables and Urban Politics.
- HAMADEH, Shrine , 1998
- Dissertation Title: The City's Pleasures: Architectural Sensibility in
KAFESCIOGLU, Cigdem, 1997
- Dissertation Title: The Ottoman Capital in the Making: the Reconstruction of
Constantinople in the Fifteenth Century
- SOYSAL, Levent (G-8), Anthropology & MES
- STAVRIDES, Theoharis , 1997
- Dissertation Title: The Ottoman Grand Vezir Mahmud Pasha Angelovic (1453-1474)
- TERZIOGLU, Derin , 1999
- Dissertation Title: Sufi and Dissident in the Ottoman Empire: Niyazi Misir
Alumni - Masters
- SAGLIK, Eyüp, 2nd year
Return to Top of Page