CHECKLIST FOR SUMMER OR TERM-TIME
In order to integrate a meaningful, for-credit experience abroad into your undergraduate education please follow these steps:
1. DISCUSS YOUR PLAN TO STUDY ABROAD with your academic advisers. The advising conversations you will have will help you to define your goals and to identify the right study abroad program.
2. RESEARCH PROGRAMS through the OIE website. Consult student evaluations of study abroad programs online.Talk with the student advisers during drop-in hours at the OIE, or find a student who studied abroad in your house, your concentration or in the country/program you are interested in.
3. TALK TO A STUDY ABROAD ADVISER
- FOR TERM-TIME, speak with an adviser at the OIE, Mon-Fri 2-4pm at 77 Dunster Street or email for an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FOR SUMMER, speak with an adviser at the OCS, Mon-Fri 1-4pm at 54 Dunster Street.
4. APPLY TO AN APPROVED PROGRAM
Apply to your study abroad program. Admission can be competitive so apply early. Please note that program application deadlines vary widely. For term-time programs not listed on the OIE website, you will be required to seek approval of the program before you can submit the application for transfer credit. Speak with an adviser at OIE about petitioning for approval of a new program.
5. APPLY FOR TRANSFER CREDIT towards your Harvard degree. Meet the appropriate Office for International Education (OIE) deadline (see dates below): NOTE: You must meet this deadline even if you are still waiting to hear if you have been accepted to the study abroad program!If you are applying to two programs, complete two separate transfer credit applications.
- Summer Study
- February 17, 2012 – for students applying for summer grants, submit forms with funding application
- April 13, 2012 – for students not applying for funding, submit forms in person at the Office of International Education, 77 Dunster Street
- Term Time Study
- March 1, 2012 for Fall Semester Abroad –
submit forms on-line
- October 1, 2012 for Spring Semester Abroad –
submit forms on-line