Contact us
Home About Us People Undergraduate Study Graduate Study Performance Events Contact


Undergraduate Study in Music




INFORMATION for CURRENT undergraduates



The study of music not only deepens the student's appreciation and understanding of art, culture, and history; it hones the analytic, writing, creative, and critical thinking skills as much or more than any liberal arts subject. The Concentration in Music incorporates theory, much as math does, and composition, much as any study of the arts. But the study of music also includes cultural history, politics, science (sound studies), and philosophy. Many of our students are performers, some of them excellent. We believe that understanding the cultural and historical background of the music we perform will result in a better performance.

The Music Department covers a wide range of styles and genres: the whole gamut of Western music history is represented from medieval chant to contemporary composition, as are large areas of musical traditions from other parts of the world, with a specific emphasis on South Asian and African cultures, as well as jazz and American music. Popular music has been represented in recent years by classes from California in the 60s to Global pop.

Our faculty numbers around 20 members, and we serve around 50 undergraduate concentrators (as well as a graduate program in music). Students reap the advantages of a smaller concentration: individual attention, friendliness, the opportunity to get to know faculty, fellow students, graduate students in music, and to become familiar with the department's many resources.



Listen in on

Music 175 class recital:
Transfigured Night 12/12
[Pierrot Lunaire]

Music 153 class concert: Jazz Harmony 12/12
[Joint Fracture]
[Coffee for Midterms]





c 2015 President and Fellows of Harvard College