|About DCW Data||Get More DCW Data||China DCW Downloads|
Basic DCW (Digital Chart of the World) GIS datasets have been prepared for use with Robert Hartwell "China Historical Studies" datasets. From the links above, you will find an introduction to the data, a website where DCW data for other countries can be downloaded, and the China datasets that we have prepared as shapefiles.
The China Datasets available from this page have been imported into ArcView and converted into shapefiles, then archived into ZIP files for the convenience of CHGIS users. You will need ArcView software to use the shapefiles listed below.
|Description||Filename||Feature type||File size|
|PRC National Political Boundary||prc_boundary||lines||300 KB|
|PRC Cities and Towns (14,000 places)||prc_popplaces||points||355 KB|
|PRC Cities & Towns (1,500 places)||prc_poppolys||polygons||166 KB|
|Asia Rivers||prc_rivers||lines||22.8 MB|
|PRC Roads||prc_roads||lines||3 MB|
|Asia Contours||asia_contours||lines||53 MB|
HOW TO USE:
(1) create a folder on your hard drive with an appropriate name, such as "PRCroads"
(2) go to the downloads folder, accessible from the link on upper right side of this webpage
(3) download the appropriate ZIP archive to your local drive by "right-clicking" your mouse on the link, and SAVE TARGET AS, then select the location on your hard drive for the download
(4) after the download is complete, use WINZIP to unzip the archive and EXTRACT the files into the folder that you created in step 1, above. Make sure that the item "USE FOLDER NAMES" on the lower left is NOT CHECKED before extracting files.
(5) open ArcView and choose ADD DATA button, then browse to the folder mentioned above. double-clicking on the folder name should open the data in ArcView.
Your questions and comments are welcomed. Please contact us at the email address below.
Comments to CHGIS Webmaster