What is FAS?

Founded in 1890, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) is the largest division of Harvard University. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is dedicated to being at the forefront of teaching and learning and fostering cutting edge research and discovery. FAS is redefining liberal arts education for the 21st century and is committed to an open Harvard and student aid by making a Harvard education accessible to students from all backgrounds.

FAS comprises Harvard College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, including undergraduate and graduate admissions; the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences; and the Division of Continuing Education, including the Extension and Summer Schools. FAS also encompasses academic resources such as libraries and museums, as well as campus resources and athletics.

Stories from around FAS:

About: College

Continuing Education

About: Athletics

The Game kicks off with high spirits

The Game kicks off with high spirits

November 22, 2014

With just 0:55 remaining in Saturday’s game, Harvard beat Yale, 31-24 at Harvard Stadium, securing an undefeated season for the Crimson and outright ownership of the Ivy League championship title for the eighth straight year. For postgame coverage, visit Harvard Athletics website.

The mood was festive on Saturday as undefeated Harvard, bidding for the sole possession of the Ivy League crown, met once-beaten Yale in the 131st edition of The Game.

GSAS

About: SEAS

Creating ‘genomic origami’

Creating ‘genomic origami’

December 11, 2014

In a triumph for cell biology, researchers have assembled the first high-resolution, 3-D maps of entire folded genomes and found a structural basis for gene regulation, a kind of “genomic origami” that allows the same genome to produce different types of cells. The research appears online Thursday in the journal Cell.

Museums

The old, made new

The old, made new

December 18, 2014

The Harvard Semitic Museum opened at its Divinity Avenue location in 1903 on land bought for a dollar from a benefactor.

The sturdy, granite-trimmed, brick building was at the edge of a Cambridge demi-wilderness called Norton Woods. It was next to a residence that has since been moved to Ware Street. Further down was a boardinghouse for immigrant Irishwomen, who cleaned and made beds in Harvard dormitories.